The field of optometry changes quickly, and now many more patients are able to enjoy the flexibility of wearing contact lenses to correct their vision. Contact lens exams include tests that are not always performed in regular eye exams, so if you are considering contact lenses, be sure to let us know when you schedule your exam. This allows us to schedule the extra time required for contact lens fitting or prescription updates.
Scheduling your general eye exam and your contact lens exam for the same visit will save you time and money. Performing these exams at different locations or with different optometrists can lead to repeated tests and additional fees.
Our contact lens exams include questions about your lifestyle and the various options available to you. There are a variety of contact lenses on the market that can be changed at different frequencies: daily, weekly, monthly. Rigid gas permeable (RGP or GP) contact lenses are an option that often provide sharper vision than traditional soft lenses. Bifocal contact lenses are an option to correct vision issues that develop with age (presbyopia). So is monovision, which is a special technique where one eye corrects for distance vision and the other eye corrects for near vision. Some contacts even allow you to change eye color.
Our offices offer you the following assortment of lens designs and technologies:
- SPHERICAL SOFT contacts: Daily, 2 week, 1 month, and customized designs for patients with no or minimal astigmatism requirements.
- ASTIGMATISM (TORIC) SOFT contacts: Daily, 2 week, 1 month, and customized designs for patients who require an astigmatism correction.
- MULTIFOCAL SOFT contacts: Available in Daily and 1 months designs, these newer designed lenses allow you to see distance, intermediate, and near simultaneously!!! Also available in customized designs for those with astigmatism or high powers.
- COLORED SOFT contacts: offering the healthiest and most comfortable lens available to change your eye color, available in 9 different color contacts!!!
- GAS PERMEABLE (HARD) SPHERICAL contacts: for visually discerning patients who require crisp vision
- GAS PERMEABLE ASTIGMATISM (TORIC) contacts: offers crisp vision for those who have mid to high astigmatism corrections.
- GAS PERMEABLE BIFOCAL or MULTIFOCAL contacts: crisp vision at distance, intermediate and near simultaneously; especially for those who also require an astigmatism correction.
- SYNERGEYES HYBRID contacts: a “hybrid” that offers the “crisp” vision of a gas permeable, with the comfort of a soft contact lens. Available in Sphere, Astigmatism, or Multifocal designs!
- SCLERAL contacts: the newest technologically advanced lens. Excellent if you have an irregular cornea due to Keratoconus, Pellucid Marginal Degeneration, Dry Eye, or any other irregular corneal condition. Also available in a multifocal, if needed. Corrects very high astigmatism as well.
- SPECIALTY contacts: these lenses are for patients with irregular corneas due to Keratoconus, Pellucid Marginal Degeneration, or irregularities post trauma or surgery.
If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact us today at (843) 681-6682 (Hospital Center Commons), (843) 785-8008 (Shelter Cove) or (843) 706-0607 (Bluffton).